Looking for a new recipe to fill your taco shells, or maybe to spice up your boring salad? This shredded chicken has amazing flavor, requires minimal effort, and is clean eating! By making your own taco seasoning, you are skipping out on the preservatives that are usually added into the packets, and you can control the salt and spice level!
I have been SO busy lately between school and work, I haven’t had much time to cook. That usually means a lot of eating out, and I am feeling it!
When it comes to chicken, I usually try to buy organic, but it wasn’t really in the budget this week. I at least go with this all natural chicken over Tyson, and the funny thing is it was $2 cheaper than Tyson!
I began by chopping 1 jalapeno (I left the seeds in for extra spice!), 1/2 small onion, and 1/2 small red bell pepper.
Meanwhile, I cooked the chicken in 1/3 cup of water, covered, for about 20 minutes, flipping once.
Once the chicken was fully cooked, I pulled it out of the pan and allowed it to cool enough that I could shred it by hand. Make sure to remove any fat during this step. How well you want the chicken shredded is totally up to your preference!
I then put the chicken back into the (now clean) pan, and topped with the vegetables.
I grabbed all my seasonings for the chicken and combined them with the meat and vegetables.
I added 1/2 cup of water and covered, cooking on low heat for about ten minutes, stirring occasionally.
And that’s it! Your vegetables are cooked and your chicken is seasoned perfectly!
This chicken could easily be frozen for meal prep, added to casseroles, pasta, rice, or used with lettuce wraps for a gluten free taco night. The possibilities are endless!
Shredded Mexican Chicken
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast tenderloins (organic or cage free)
- 1 jalapeno, diced (seeds left in if extra spice is wanted!)
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon corn starch
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional for extra heat)
- Cook chicken, covered, in skillet with 1/3 cup of water for 20 minutes. Flip once half way through.
- Meanwhile, combine seasonings. Set aside.
- Once chicken is cooked, remove from pan to cool.
- Once cooled enough to touch, shred chicken, removing any fat.
- Return chicken to (cleaned) pan, combine with vegetables, seasonings, and 1/2 cup water.
- Cook on low heat, covered, for about 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- If freezing, allow to cool completely before placing in freezer.
- Salt can be omitted if on a low-sodium diet.
- If looking for the taco seasoning recipe on it’s own, you can view it here!