Tomato soup is good for the soul, and it’s good for your health when it’s made from scratch! Check out my new recipe for this super easy homemade soup that will have you wanting to keep a batch in the fridge at all times!
Sometimes, all we want is comfort food, and there’s not a whole lot more that screams comfort food than a bowl of tomato soup and grilled cheese. By making the soup from scratch, you’re avoiding all of the preservatives and who knows what that’s in the canned stuff, and you can feel good about what you’re eating!
Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
- 1 large can (22oz) crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 3 Tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup low fat ricotta
- 1/2 cup milk (low fat, soy, or whatever works for you!)
- Shredded parmesan cheese for garnish (optional)
- In large pot, mix tomatoes, basil, garlic, salt, and pepper. Simmer over low heat for 30 minutes.
- Mix ricotta into soup, stirring until melted.
- Transfer soup into food processor and add milk. Mix until well combined and smooth.
- Serve immediately or allow to cool and refrigerate for up to 4 days. Warm over low heat until just beginning to bubble.
- Garnish with parmesan, if desired.